Why it would have to know what it is making my competition in Google AdWords? Could This help me to improve the results of my campaigns? Which are the steps that I must follow to make an analysis of my competition in AdWords?
If these questions are to you familiar, but, mainly, you would like to find the answers, then what I will share you in this guide she is going to you to be of much utility.
Even though in the majority of the cases only we competed with a handful of advertisers within the auction of Google AdWords, is vitally important to know some the following points:
- What companies are announcing with my key words?
- Which are the key words that are using in their campaigns?
- What type of communication is using in their announcements?
- To that page is directing to the users after they give click in his announcements?
- What products or services are promoting most frequently? Which is the commercial supply that is communicating?
Next I will explain you as you can solve these questions and thus you manage to be different themselves from your competition, to attract the best clients and to obtain better results than the rest with your campaigns of Google AdWords.
Now yes, hands to the work!
Table of contents
- How much it is what my competition in Google AdWords is paying?
- What announcements and pages of destiny use my competition in AdWords?
- The Most powerful Tool To understand to your Competition (Statistical of the auction)
- Other tools to make analysis of your competition
- You want more tools? Ok! Here a few more¦
- The form More Simple to spy to your Competition (But perhaps Most effective)
- This is most important¦
How much it is what my competition in Google AdWords is paying?
Before initiating a campaign of Google AdWords it is good for knowing how much it is what we could pay by each click of our announcements. And in the same way, to know how much it is what probably already our competition is paying.
The best form to obtain this is using the planner of key words of Google. This is a totally gratuitous tool and to accede to her you only need to have created an account of Google AdWords previously.
The first step to use it is to enter your account of Google AdWords and later to select to Tools > Planning of key words
Later, you will select the option that says Search new key words by means of a phrase, a website or a category
And there you will have to enter the phrases or searches that you consider that your potential clients can be realising in Google to find your product or service.
(They can enter the number of key words that you want, but to initiate you can enter of 5 10 different phrases)
Also you will need to enter the geographic location where you are going away to announce.
Soon you will give click in obtaining ideas and the tool will throw a listing to you of those searches that you entered and others more related to its respective monthly volumes, costs by click considered and level of competition.
In the image you will be able to see the column of competition that it determines the amount of advertisers supplying by that keyword. This data will help you that is to say which are some of the key words that your competition identifies as more valuable and by which are arranged to pay more.
This column has three different indicators:
- Discharge many advertisers Exist supplying by that keyword
- Average a mean level of advertisers Exists supplying by that keyword
- Low a level under advertisers Exists very supplying by that keyword
Now, with the column of suggested supply you will be able to know which are the costs by click or to considered CPC average that your competition probably is paying. (And like they, your costs by click can be within those ranks)
Making quick analysis of the previous image we could consider that my costs by click are going to be between $3 and $5 pesos Mexican for those key words.
It is possible to emphasize that the costs by click can vary by keyword, temporality and location. It is why it is important to take this information as general indicators, nevertheless, the real data you will know them when you have activity in your campaigns.
The domain of your competition in the section of destiny page enters
Another option that you can use from the planner of key words is to enter the website of your competition in the section destiny page.
When doing it, the platform will make a quick analysis of the content of the website of your competition and it will generate a listing to you similar to the previous one, with a list of key words that also you will be able to take as ideas to use them in your own campaigns.
These key words will help you to know the content that is using your competition in its website and to possibly know key words that it is using in his campaigns of Google AdWords.
What announcements and pages of destiny use my competition in AdWords?
Would You like to know which are the announcements and destiny pages that are using your competition in Google AdWords?
One of the forms simplest to know it is through the tool of diagnosis and previous view of announcements that is within the platform of Google AdWords.
One of the most common errors of the new advertisers is to make many searches to try if its announcement is being correctly in Google.
Although to do it a few times it would not have a negative consequence. Doing it in repeated occasions (and not giving click in the announcements) can affect in your CTR and quality level of your campaigns.
In order to avoid that, the best thing is to use this tool, that is totally gratuitous and that allows to know you who are announcing for different types from searches, which is the communication that are using in their announcements and also what destiny pages are visiting the users after giving click in their announcements.
And the best thing of everything is than you will be able to know this information for any search that is realised anywhere of the world. This is very useful when you have campaigns in different locations or different countries.
(Also it serves to determine if your announcement is assets once already you initiated your campaigns. And if it is not thus, it gives reasons you of why one is not being correctly)
To accede to this tool is very simple. You only need to enter your account, soon to go to where it says Tools and later selecting to previous Vista and diagnosis of announcements
For example, for a school of English in the city of Monterrey, Mexico, we could enter the phrase school of English for children and would select the corresponding city.
Those would be the advertisers who are paying to appear with that search and that they could be our competition.
As not yet I have an active campaign in this case, my announcement is not appearing (and the same tool says it to me).
Nevertheless, this way I could know that berlitzkidz.com.mx, relacionesculturales.edu.mx, cambridgenglish.org and acentrodeidiomas.com have good presence for one of the most important searches of my category.
Now, if already we had active campaigns of Google AdWords, thus it is as would be a search that we obtained from one of the accounts of our clients that offers courses of kitchen in the city of Hermosillo, Mexico:
Now perhaps you are asking yourself¦ As which it serves to me to do this?
- To know which is the communication that is using my competition in its announcements
- Which are the destiny pages that are using
- To initiate the process to make a Funnel Hacking (of this I will talk to you more ahead)
- Knowledge who are my main competitors
Now we go to the following point¦
The Most powerful Tool To understand to your Competition (Statistical of the auction)
The section of statistics of the auction within AdWords (that only works when or you have activity in your campaigns) allows you to consult the yield of your key words, groups of announcements or campaigns in comparison with those of your competition.
Of summarized way, with her you can know the frequency with which your announcements also appear in positions superiors to those of your competition (or vice versa) and the percentage of impressions of your key words in comparison with the other advertisers.
At the home, this tool seems something confused, but you understand it well, and if takings a good file of data, can be very powerful for the decision making.
How to use the tool of statistic of the auction?
In order to be able to arrive at this section you will need to select the account, campaign, or groups of announcements where you want to make the analysis.
Later you will give click where it says to Statistical Details > of the auction
There you will have two options to choose:
- Selected you will be able to make the analysis for the key words that you have selected previously
- All/All you will be able to make the analysis for all the key words of the selection that you have done (it counts, campaign, or group of announcements) in that you are.
Once you have chosen some of the two mentioned options then will throw a report to you with a listing of your main competitors and different statistics that I will explain to you next.
How to process the data of the report?
In first instance it would seem that all the columns shelp the same¦ you don't create?
At the home he is something confused, but I explain to you here of which each of them consists:
- Domain of URL: This is the URL that your competitor is using in his announcements. It uses this to identify that is your competition.
- Percentage of impressions: It demonstrates the frequency with which the announcements of your competition were in auctions where you also were competing. Here you will be able to identify to the competitors as greater visibility with your key words.
- Position average: This metric one shows to the position average of your competition in the results search in auctions in which you are competing.
- Percentage of superposition: This percentage demonstrates the frequency with which the announcement of your competitor is next to yours.
- Percentage of position superior: It demonstrates the frequency with which the announcement of your competition was in a position superior yours.
- Percentage of the part superior of the page: It demonstrates the frequency with which the announcements of your competition were in the part superior of the page (In positions that normally is of 1º to 4º) for auctions in which you are also competing.
- Percentage of the ranking superior: It demonstrates the frequency with which you obtained a position superior to your competition plus the amount of times that your announcement yes was and the one of competition no.
Also, once you generate the report you will be able to apply different segments (as of schedule and device) to see the behavior in different scenes.
As you can be given account, this tool is quite useful since it shows a very detailed panorama to you of how your competition is showing its announcements and supplying by key words similar to yours.
Nevertheless, it is good for mentioning that the data that you see in this report do not reveal the complete strategy of your competitor since it is possible that your this it is supplying by key words that your you are not using or in other locations where you are not doing it.
Even so, with this information you will be able to make decisions and to understand better the performance of your campaigns in comparison to those of your competition.
Other tools to make analysis of your competition
One of the things that abound more in Internet is tools or specialized software to conduct some battle or task in specific.
Although normally it is enough with using the tools within AdWords previously mentioned, exist other external tools that can give you to more excellent information envelope which is making your competition.
Some of these show information directly on which it is making your competition in Google AdWords and others are more of their strategy of digital marketing generally.
Next, I will share some to you of most effective.
SEMrush is one of the tools for more popular SEO and SEM in the market. Although I have seen certain obstacles in statistics for Latin America, recently some updates have been made with which we can obtain quite valuable data of our competition.
The tool is quite simple to use and only that we must make to remove to him the benefit is to enter the URL of the competitor and the tool will throw information to us as the following one:
- Analysis of organic searches (SEO) visits considered from organic traffic, number of incoming connections or backlinks, indexed positions average, pages and more.
- Analysis of searches of payment (Google AdWords) key words with greater volume, announcements of text used, considered cost (how much it is investing in AdWords) and more.
- Publicity in display Examples of used announcements, networks of websites used as the network of display of Google, websites with greater volume of impressions and more.
As you will imagine, one of the most valuable things that we can obtain from this tool is which are the keywords with which our competition is announcing, the volume of click that it is generating of the same and the costs by click average.
* Although this tool is not very useful for Latin America, I have seen that for some websites (with good volume of visits) it offers very interesting data.
SimilarWeb is a tool that, although is not exclusive for Google AdWords, grants very valuable information to you that it allows to understand the strategy you of general digital marketing of your competition.
These are some of the data that you can obtain with SimilarWeb:
- Number of monthly visits of the website of your competition
- Time average in the site, pages by visit and rate by ricochet
- Main websites of reference (external Sites that direct visits to the website)
- Information of the data search
- Visits from social networks
- Publicity in display
- Interests of the hearing
- Other movable competitors and applications
Like SEMrush, SimilarWeb counts on a gratuitous version and a version of payment.
Although I have not used the payment version, the gratuitous version grants information sufficient to be able to spy on to your competition and power to take ideas to improve your strategy.
In order to use it, you only must enter the domain of the website of your competition and the tool makes the rest.
There are two sections that in the individual you can be useful directly for Google AdWords (they are my favorites). These are the section of Search and Display Advertising
Section of Search (Search)
This section says to you which are the keywords with which your competitor is generating most of his traffic Web from the finder.
And the best thing is than it shows separated by organic search and phelp search (Google AdWords). If your competitor is not using Google AdWords then that section will appear without data.
But your competition is using Google AdWords, then you can there see which are the key words to which it is betting more in Google AdWords. With this, your you could announce with these key words since it is probable that it is generating results.
Section of Display Advertising (Publicity in Display)
In this section you will be able to know the networks announcements that your competitor is using. With this your you will be able to use those networks and/or the main websites where are being their announcements in networks of display.
In the image we can see that the website where Amazon has more presence is techbargains.com.
Also we see that one of the networks that Amazon is using is the network of Display de Google, but you are competing of Amazon you can see that there is another network of announcements called adMarketplace where Amazon is having much more presence.
With this, it could evaluate the possibility of announcing to me in techbargains.com and also to see if I can use the network adMarketplace to show my announcements (by something Amazon must be there announcing you do not create)
* It is very probable that these two tools do not work with websites that have little volume of visits. If that is your case, the tools as the planner of key words, the tool of diagnosis and previous view of announcements and the statistics of auction are more than sufficient to spy to your competition as a professional.
You want more tools? Ok! Here a few more¦
Many tools exist more than they will allow to understand the strategy you of your competition. Next I share some to you that are very useful:
- BuiltWith this it is website (that counts an extension of Google Chrome) that will allow to know which what is the technology and software you that is using the website of your competition. With her you can identify the networks of announcements that are using, tools of analysis Web and until the supplier of lodging Web that uses.
- Google Tag Assistant This is a small extension of Google Chrome that quickly allows you to know if your competition is using Google Analytics, codes of conversion of AdWords, codes of remarketing of AdWords, code of Google Tag Manager and more.
- SpyFu this is a tool very used in the United States and as its name says it serves specifically to spy to your competition. In some tests that I did yes it works for Latin America.
The form More Simple to spy to your Competition (But perhaps Most effective)
The simplicity is the maximum sophistication. Clare Boothe Luce
In the last years I have realized that often the simplest actions are most effective.
Although what I have shared to you are extremely useful strategies to spy to your competition in Google AdWords, simple actions exist much more that you can realise and with which you do not need some tool to obtain it.
To that I talk about with this?
The tools we will replace them by questions.
And for this case they are two questions that can multiply the results of your campaigns of AdWords, but mainly of your business (or the business of your clients).
These are the two questions that you are due to do:
1. How it could completely differentiate from my competition and more attractive being to me for my potential client?
Although this question strictly is not related to your strategy in Google AdWords, this can have a great impact in your business of general way.
In a great number of cases, the market in which the companies compete is quite similar. That is to say, there are small variations in prices, supplies and characteristics of products and services. But of general way, often it is difficult to identify the differences between both.
When doing to you this question you can identify the actions that you must realise to leave that red Ocean where the competition is extremely ferocious and is differentiation no to happen to the Blue Ocean where the competition has little relevance and where your you create your own market.
Although this is simpler to say that to apply, it is a question that can completely change your business (or the one of your clients).
2. Which is the contact process or of purchase through which it passes a potential client with my competition?
The other question comes as a result of another book that I read call Expert Secrets of Russell Brunson recently.
In the book it is spoken of a concept that the author calls as Funnel Hacking. The translation of this concept would be Hackeo de Embudos (it sounds very rare jeje)
The Funnel Hacking consists of analyzing all the funnel of sales of your more successful competitor and making you happen as a client of them.
Something as well as famous mistery to shopper but applied to the world of the Internet.
Rusell comments that it has invested thousand of dollars buying products and services of its competition and that has allowed to understand him from the pursuit that do with their clients until the supplies that use to increase the price average of their sales.
(This way replica and test what it is working to them more in his own business)
We put an example¦
A company of car insurances that interest to him to generate requests in line.
What we could do is a search of car insurances, to give click in an announcement, to leave our data and to see as is the contact process. (They are going to Us to probably call and they are going to us to offer different options to close the sale)
Or in a store in line, we could make the purchase of one of products more sold and to see if they offer an increased sale to us (upsell), if they offer to the days some coupon of discount so that we return to buy and also to see how (and in what time of delivery) they take the product to us.
The possibilities are many.
This way you will almost know with a 100% of exactitude what is what it is making your competition to satisfy the needs with the market. But mainly, you will be able to know how that to talk back and in that differentiating to you and thus to multiply the results of your campaigns of Google AdWords.
This is most important¦
If you arrived up to here I want to thank to you. This he has been one of articles more extensive than I have written (Always I say the same. I create.)
But to follow with the custom to mention books, I want to take a phrase from the great Zero book to One de Peter Thiel and who very defines or my form to see the paper that plays the competition for a company, business or advertiser of Google AdWords.
There are exactly 2 types of businesses in this world. Businesses that are perfectly competitive and businesses that are monopolies. Peter Thiel
Which of these two types of businesses is better to be?
Obvious a monopoly.
And I do not speak strictly of being a monopoly as Google or Apple.
If not to make things that position you as one better option and than they add more value to your client who what your competition does.
And everything begins little by little. From the call to the action that you use in an announcement of Google AdWords, until the form in which you speak to him on the telephone to that prospectus or lead that you generated some ago days.
Now yes crack,
It is hour of which you go and you eliminate your competition completely. ð
(You do not only tell him that I told you as jeje)
P.D. If you liked this article would be thankful to you that you shared it with some friend/friend or in the social networks. Thanks!